5/01/2011

Breathing Thru Clenched Teeth


Ah, the love bugs, love bugs, love bugs - a plague of biblical proportions.  As a transplant from the mid-west, I’m still amazed at the number of them everywhere.  A trip in the car means a car wash as soon as I get home.  They are so thick that after a few miles, I have to stop to clear the windshield. 


Am I complaining?  Not at all.  I can remember mid-west winters when the ice or snow covered the windshield after a few miles and we’d have to stop to get out and clear the windshield.  If I have to clear a windshield, I’d rather do it at 80 degrees than 20 degrees. 

Fortunately, love bugs don’t bite, sting, or chomp on foliage – they are all out for one thing – love!  A popular Florida novelist wrote of a promiscuous friend “(he) has the sexual discipline of a lovebug”. 

We had a lovely cool, breezy, morning today.  A great opportunity to take a bit of a bike ride!  As the air temperature began to rise, the love bugs began to fly again.  That put an end to my ride.  I rode home breathing through clenched teeth to keep from inhaling them.  ~pam


2 comments:

  1. ok, so keep them in your part of our county, they are not here yet, and we are only 50 miles from you. i have not been on the interstate so I am sure they are there. and like you i rather clean off bugs than snow/ice. that is a great shot of the two love bugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee thanks Sandra. At least in this shot the bugs weren't smashed against my car or RV. We have so many here, there can't be any left to share with you.

    ReplyDelete