1/31/2011

memory connections


Scientists are studying how the brain works and how we remember things.  Some day, they’ll be able to tell us just why the smell of sweet potatoes baking remind us of Aunt Jane’s kitchen.   Once I’m back in that kitchen, other memories flood in.  I can see her gingham curtains, pet her black cocker spaniel and see my cousins (long dead) again. 

A tour of a antique shop is as much fun as a museum, but one where I can touch the exhibits.  My favorite items are kitchen utensils and children’s books. 

I was reminded of one of my favorite children’s book at the last campground I was in.  A neighbors’ small dog was so funny and cute.  Checkers was 8 inches high by about 20 inches long.  His head was brindled black and brown and he has long ears.  Maybe he has some mini-doxie in him?  His body is mostly white.  Nice white tail to wag at me. 

Seeing Checkers brought my mind to my childhood book.  This book was of cartoon like animals.  Each page was divided into three strips.  Top was animal heads, middle was the torso and the bottom legs and feet.  I could flip the strips to create a giraffe head with lion body and elephant legs.  Or flip other strips to create even odder creatures.  The fun was in seeing odd pieces put together, rather like Checkers.               Thanks Checkers for the memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment